Thursday, December 01, 2016

Fallout 4 - Screenshots and "Portraits", Part I (SweetFX in ReShade) [With Added Example of Before and After]

[Update 2016-12-05: I think it would be 'more exciting' to see the Before, since these are all the After (the effects were turned on) - I shall come back to this and post/add the Before pics (the in-game unmodified versions), Soon™]
[Update 2017-02-17: I have added an animated GIF showing the Before and After applying my SweetFX profile, configured in ReShade, for one of the screenshots ("Mrs.Nordhagen, Settler II")]


Slowly doing more and more after a harder time with Colds/Flu/etc, I have been having a ton of fun with Fallout 4, ever since I received it as a gift from My Better Half recently when it was on sale - so much so, I can't tear myself away to do a First Impressions on it, I am playing with every bit of energy I get... Although I find myself mainly enjoying just building up my Settlements [as opposed to getting Quests done out in the ruined world, I have managed to take a multitude of Screenshots - and while Fallout 4 does not seem to be a miracle-laden, leaps-and-bounds, rocketship-flight, leap-ahead in graphics advancement from Fallout 3 [it seems to be a heavily modified/improved FO3 Engine], it is still quite beautiful, with the potential to be immensely so. Not a clean-and-crisp representation of a post-apocalyptic future [to my own delight] debris is strewn everywhere in both outdoor and indoor scenes/areas, accented by Shader and Post-Processing Effects galore...all while trying to maintain a lower polygon count ['complexity of the shapes'] for Console (and Desktop) performance. If you are able to turn things up (and don't mind the relatively sluggish performance drops) this game can truly become a Screenshot-Taker's Paradise...


I have so many Screenshots already from it that I want to start sharing them all - but first, here are just a few, of what-I-am-calling "Portrait" ['photo-style'] captures that I was able to take, captured in-game with the ULTRA graphic Video Setting (tweaked slightly), with filtering done by SweetFX in ReShade, utilizing my own configuration/presets/profiles (these Presets are configured with high amounts of Sharpening, Grain and Colour Grading (shading/colour-correction) to produce a darker, grittier look overlaying the game textures). Other than the Picture Frames for the 'portraits' below (those with text) and The Blog logos/watermarkings on all of them, no heavy editing in these (colour changes, etc.) were done outside of the game ("this is how it looks in the game, once you take the Picture Frames or Logos away") - the faces especially, are completely untouched and are how they looked in the game itself... For those interested in reproducing these looks, all SweetFX/ReShade profiles I create/configure will be made available here for all to use, once they are finalized...Soon™


[I am also going to share these Screenshots and 'Portraits' (images with border and text added) at Flickr and through Steam, eventually. I hope everyone enjoys them all!]


And now... a few 'Portraits' and some Screenshots, all taken using SweetFX at the time:


Although I am mostly just building up my Settlements [as opposed to getting Quests done out in the ruined world heh], it is exposing me to the Settlers and their personalities... These "Portraits" [bordered, with green 'Pip-Boy-style' Text] are an expression of those interactions, what I think their personal qualities/goals are (from what I have been exposed to thus far) and my enjoyment of it all... I hope you enjoy these little ‘representational snippets’ of their lives....

Fallout 4 "Portraits" - Preston Garvey
Captured in-game running ULTRA Settings, no Mods, filtering done with SweetFX in ReShade, text andborder added
Click to see Full Size


Fallout 4 "Portraits" - Marcy Long
(Captured in-game running ULTRA Settings, no Mods, filtering done with SweetFX in ReShade, text and border added)
Click to see Full Size


Fallout 4 "Portraits" - Sturges
Captured in-game running ULTRA Settings, no Mods, filtering done with SweetFX in ReShade, text and border added
Click to see Full Size



"Mama Murphy, can I take a picture of you?"
"Oooh I dunno kiddo, noone's gonna be interested in lookin' at ol' Mama Murphy, years from now... Besides, I haven't been to a salon in, oooh, I dunno how long..."
"Nonsense, Mama. You look fine. You have a special type of beauty I'd like to capture... Please?"
"Oooh alright... Just be sure to get Mama Murphy's 'good side', heheh...."


Fallout 4 - Mama Murphy "From Photo Shoot I"
Captured in-game running ULTRA settings, no Mods, filtering done with SweetFX
Click to see Full Size

Fallout 4 - Mama Murphy "From Photo Shoot II"
Captured in-game running ULTRA Settings, no Mods, filtering done with SweetFX
Click to see Full Size


Although it was hard to get a 'photo-style' angle, interacting with Mrs.Nordhagen (of Nordhagen Beach, Mass.) over and over eventually yielded this somewhat 'candid' shot of her and her husband, after 'talking' to her a number of times to get her to turn around - it was worth it to me, as these next two shots were the result... Lots of filtering was configured in SweetFX, having heavy sharpening and adding lots of colour grading, with a slight vignette [TV style] and Filmic passes, all done with SweetFX via ReShade.

Fallout 4 - "Mrs. Nordhagen, Settler I"
Captured in-game running ULTRA Settings, no Mods, filtering done with SweetFX
Click to see Full Size

Fallout 4 - "Mrs. Nordhagen, Settler II"
Captured in-game running ULTRA Settings, no Mods, filtering done with SweetFX
Click to see Full Size

Fallout 4 - "Mrs. Nordhagen, Settler II" (with and without SweetFX applied), Half-Size GIF
Captured in-game running ULTRA settings, no Mods, filtering profile configured with SweetFX in ReShade
Click to see Full Size



[I have so many screens already... but I have to get them 'prepped' for Upload and between still being 'slow' - but still trying to enjoy the game as much as I can (taking Notes for a First Impressions post, with Tips, And More!) - the rest will have to come in increments ("Parts"). For now, I hope you all enjoy these though. Take care.]



ReShade by Crosire (reshade.me)
SweetFX by CeeJay.dk (ceejay.dk)
Game Material by Bethesda Game Studios (bgs.bethsoft.com)
Captured/Edited by Troy from The Game Tips And More Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment